Chicken Shawarma Burger
on ACE Brioche Gourmet Buns
Everything you love about a Mediterranean shawarma, in the form of a burger! With a tender and flavourful chicken fillet, a delicious garlic yogurt sauce, tangy pickled onions, served on an indulgent ACE Brioche Gourmet Bun, this Chicken Shawarma Burger is soon to become a fan favourite.
Prep time: 25 minutes, plus marinating time
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes
- 4 ACE Bakery Brioche Gourmet Buns, Sliced
- 1 Large red onion
- ¾ cup Red or white wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. granulated Sugar
- 1.5lb (675g) Ground Chicken (Alternate- 4 chicken breasts, butterflied)
- 2 Tbsp. Shawarma seasoning
- 1 Lemon, zest and juice, divided
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 Egg
- ½ Cup Greek Yogurt
- 3 cloves fresh Garlic cloves, finely grated or very finely minced into a paste with salt
- 3 Tbsp. Italian Parsley, wash, dried and chopped
- Cucumber, sliced
- 1 large Tomato, sliced
- 2 large leaves Green Leaf Lettuce
- 6 Tbsp. Prepared Hummus (optional)
For the Pickled Onions
Peel and finely slice the onion and place in a heatproof bowl or jar with a lid.
In a small saucepan, bring to a boil 1/2 cup water, vinegar, sugar, a few grinds of fresh cracked black pepper, and 1 tsp salt. Pour over sliced onions, and mix well so the onions are submerged in the pickling liquid.
Set aside to cool for a minimum of 30 minutes.
Cover and refrigerate remaining onions for another use.
(Alternate- use thinly sliced red onion in the final burger assembly with the tomato and cucumber)
For the Chicken Burgers
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix ground chicken, shawarma seasoning, ½ zest and juice of lemon, 2 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper, and egg. Form into 4 patties and set aside.
- When ready for assembly, cook burgers on an oiled grill pre-heated to 350F for approx. 5 minutes per side, or until the meat reaches an internal temperature of 165F.
- Serve immediately.
For the Garlic Yogurt
- In a small bowl, mix together Greek yogurt, garlic, remaining zest and juice of ½ lemon, salt, and pepper to taste. Set aside for 30 minutes in the fridge.
(Alternate- use roasted garlic mayonnaise in place of Greek yogurt and raw garlic)
- Toast Buns on the top rack of the BBQ, or under broiler if desired.
- On the bottom bun spread 1.5 Tbsp. of Hummus (if using) or 1 Tbsp. Garlic yogurt, followed by lettuce, cooked chicken shawarma patty, 1 slice of tomato, 2-3 slices of cucumber, and 2 Tbsp. pickled onions.
- Spread 2 Tbsp. garlic yogurt on top bun and place on top of burger.
This recipe is from ACE Bakery.