Tropical Fried Fish Sandwich with Coconut Cabbage Slaw
on ACE® Brioche Gourmet Bun
This Tropical Fried Fish Sandwich with Coconut Cabbage Slaw is the perfect summertime recipe!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
Total Time: 27 minutes
For the Fish Burgers
- 4 ACE Bakery® Brioche Gourmet Bun
- 1 pound (454g) cod filets cut into 4 equal pieces
- ½ cup (120ml) all-purpose flour
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) of your favourite breadcrumbs or crackers, crushed
- 1 tbsp. (15ml) garlic powder
- 1 tsp. (5ml) chilli powder
- ½ tsp. (2.5ml) freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup (60ml) freshly chopped parsley leaves
- 1 lemon, cut in wedges, for serving.
- Vegetable oil for pan-frying
For the Cabbage Slaw
- 14 oz. (400g) shredded coleslaw mix in a bag
- 2 tbsp. (30ml) chopped coriander leaves, plus extra leaves to garnish.
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Coconut Mayo
- ½ cup (120ml) prepared real mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp. (30ml) coconut cream
- 2 tbsp. (30ml) desiccated coconut, toasted
For the Coconut Mayo
- In a medium stainless-steel bowl combine mayonnaise, coconut cream, and toasted desiccated coconut. Chill until ready to serve.
For the Cabbage slaw
- In a medium bowl combine shredded coleslaw mix, the chopped coriander with half the finished coconut mayo. Season with salt and pepper and stir to combine. Set aside until ready to serve.
For the Fish Burger
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the breadcrumbs/crackers, garlic, chilli powder, parsley, salt, and pepper, to season. Pulse until smooth.
- Pour the crumbs into a wide, shallow bowl.
- In a second shallow bowl, lightly beat the eggs.
- In a third bowl place the flour.
- Place the 3 bowls side by side to prepare for coating your fish.
- Dip both sides of a cod filet first in the flour, patting off excess, then the egg mixture, shaking the fish lightly over the bowl to allow for any excess mixture to drip off, and then put the filet into the bowl of crumbs, pressing to coat one side. Flip the filet over and press to coat the other side evenly with the crumbs.
- Transfer the coated filet to a plate and repeat the process with the remaining 3 filets.
- In a skillet heat oil to medium-high heat and cook fillets, undisturbed, until the undersides are crisp and lightly golden. Flip the fillets and cook for 3 minutes more or until the fillets are completely cooked.
- Toast ACE® Brioche Gourmet Bun if desired.
- Lay sliced buns on a clean work surface and place one cooked cod filet on each of four bun bottom halves, pile each filet with slaw, drizzle with the remaining coconut mayo and top with whole coriander leaves then top with the remaining bun halves.
- Serve with lemon wedges if desired.