Sautéed Shrimps and Scallops
with Honey-Green Onion Glaze
Truly fresh seafood needs little to enhance its natural flavour. Simply seared, with fresh honey and green onions, Vancouver Island Salt Co. Canadian Fleur de Sel's beautiful crystals add a delicate crunch to this fresh shrimp and scallop appetizer. It is a beautiful starter or a light main course served with a crisp glass of white wine and some ACE Bakery Baguette to mop up the juices.
- 4 green onions
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) local honey
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vegetable or grape seed oil
- 8 very fresh scallops ("dry U/10" sea scallops)
- 12 fresh peeled BC Spot Prawns or Jumbo Shrimp
- ½ tsp (2.5 mL) freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Fleur de Sel, preferably Vancouver Island Salt Co. Fleur de Sel or Mandarin Orange and Lime Sea Salt
- juice from 1 lime (optional)
- Finely slice the green onion into delicate rings using both the green and the white parts.
- In a small skillet, heat the butter over medium heat and sauté the green onions until just soft, about 1 minute. Add the honey and heat to warm through. Remove from the heat and keep warm.
- In a large non-stick skillet, drizzle a very small amount of oil. When the pan is very hot, add the scallops to the pan and cook, without turning for 1½ minutes, until the scallops get a crispy, brown crust. Turn gently with tongs and cook for 1 minute more on the other side. Place the scallops on a warm serving platter.
- Add more oil and then the shrimp to the hot skillet and cook for 1 minute per side until pink and just cooked through.
- Nestle the shrimp with the scallops and drizzle with the warm honey and green onion glaze. Season with freshly ground black pepper and finish with a sprinkling of the salt. Drizzle with a few drops of lime juice if desired.
This recipe is from ACE Bakery.