Grand prize winner or ACE Bakery’s® Canada’s Best Sandwich contest, Thuy Nguyen Crawford of Burlington, ON, says: “I developed this recipe as a result of our long evenings at my eldest son’s baseball games. Family dinners together are very important, and I didn’t want our long evenings to keep us from eating well together. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my family does.” Extra aioli will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Spicy Garlic Aioli
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp. Sriracha (increase or decrease based on your desire of spiciness)
- 1 small garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
Mixed all ingredients together.
- 3 tbsp. white distilled vinegar
- 4 tbsp. fish sauce
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped in 1-inch (2.5-cm) lengths
- 1 red Thai chili thinly sliced (increase or decrease based on your desire of spiciness)
- 3 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup peeled shredded carrots
- 1 small Vidalia onion, thinly sliced to make ½ cup
Prep 4 hours (or overnight) before you are ready to assemble the sandwich.
- Mix the fish sauce, vinegar, sugar and garlic together until the sugar is dissolved. Combine the remaining ingredients together and mix well. Pour the vinaigrette over the coleslaw mixture and toss.
- In a container large enough to hold the steak, mix the garlic, lemongrass, fish sauce, honey and chili. Roll the steak in the marinade and marinate for at least 3 to 4 hours (or overnight) in the refrigerator. Preheat BBQ or grill pan so that it is hot.
- Grill the steak to your desired doneness, approximately 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium rare. Let the steak rest for 10 minutes.
- Cut the baguette into 4 equal portions. Slice the baguette pieces lengthwise, but not all the way through, and grill for about 1 minute until toasted. Slice the steak ⅛ to ¼ inch (0.3 to 0.6 cm) thick, against the grain.
- Spread the Spicy Garlic Aioli on both top and bottom sides of the baguette portions. Layer the sliced steak on and then top with the Asian Coleslaw.
This recipe is from ACE Bakery®.