Sharing is romantic and fun and these perfect bites are excellent for a special night in or for serving with cocktails. You may want to make extra because these will go fast. The artichokes lighten the dish and add a hint of freshness when combined with thyme, chives and parsley.
- 1 loaf day-old ACE Bakery® Three Cheese Oval or 1 ACE Bakery® Double Cheese Oval – Warm at Home, to make 2 cups of bread crumbs
- 24 white button or cremini mushrooms
- 1 tbsp. butter for greasing
- 3 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots, minced or 1 small onion, minced
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 6 oz. jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained and finely chopped
- 2 slices thick bacon or slab bacon, cooked and cut into ¼ inch (.6 cm) thick cubes (optional)
- 1 tbsp. minced flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tsp. minced fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tbsp. chopped chives
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup dry white wine
- Chopped chives for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
- If the bread is not dry enough to crumble in the food processor, cut the loaf into slices and place on an ungreased baking sheet and bake for approximately 10 to 15 minutes turning halfway through.
- Once cooled, tear dried bread into pieces, place in your food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped.
- Remove the mushroom stems keeping the mushroom caps intact. Grease a shallow oven-proof dish and place the caps, stem side up, in the dish and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 tbsp. of the olive oil and sauté the shallots, garlic, chopped mushroom stems and artichoke hearts in a frying pan until shallots and mushroom stems are soft.
- Add bacon (if using), bread crumbs, herbs and cheese. Season with the salt and pepper and mix well.
- Mound 1 tbsp. of the mixture into each mushroom cap.
- Pour the wine around the mushrooms and drizzle them with 2 tbsp. of extra-virgin olive oil. Bake for about 20 to 30 minutes or until the mushrooms are tender and the top is crispy.
- If using, garnish with chives and serve immediately.
- These stuffed mushrooms can be prepared 24 hours in advance and refrigerated before the baking process. Bring to room temperature prior to baking.
This recipe is from ACE Bakery®.